Custom Search

Friday, May 22, 2009

The sky could be green!

credit: National Geographic

When I think of rooftop gardening I envision an array of colorful containers brimming with plant life, a skyscraper view, and a beautiful sunset. What can I say I'm a sucker for a sunset. The recent May issue of National Geographic changed my vision. There is an interesting article in it that talks about a new way to build. Instead of building these boring structures with flat black top roofs, why not take that space and create an entire environment. They are called living roofs. In Germany, Switzerland, and Austria they have become law on roofs of sustainable pitch. Did you know Chicago's city hall has one, and is currently North America's leading green roof city? They are also developing living walls, what a neat concept. This is revolutional. We can change the way we think and perceive things, it just takes a little imagination. I do believe there is a need for all of these buildings, because of technology, our population is expanding at a rapid pace. BUT, we don't have to live in these concrete jungles anymore. We can take them back and create a little bit of Earth. Why haven't we done this before, and why is this not mandatory here? Here is the start of the article, I urge you to check it out before they move on to other things. It was interesting, and at the very least the photographs were beautiful. Up On The Roof.
I am sold. How about you?

No comments: