Custom Search

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Laundry Soap

To follow in the foosteps of the last post, I decided to show everyone how to make their own laundry soap, nice of me I know. Like I said it's about convenience right, and making your own laundry soap is giving up your time to make the world a better place. The thing is it probably takes me less time and energy to make my own laundry soap than if I had to run out to the store and buy some. So I am creating a less harmful product to the environment and using less natural resources to do it.


Here is the recipe:



see how easy it is, it fits on the lid of the bucket that I keep the soap in. Okay I'll type it out:


  • boil 4 cups of water

  • grate a bar of soap (I use my cheese grater, it's just soap. I also use Ivory bar soap because my son and I have sensitive skin, basically whatever soap you use that's how your laundry will smell.)

  • when the water boils mix in the grated soap until dissolved.

  • take your bucket and pour in: 3 gallons of warm tap water (48 cups)

  • 1 cup washing soda

  • 1 cup Borax (both found at my local grocery store)

  • and the dissolved soap mixture, stir well let set for 24 hours and your done.

this picture is right after I made a batch, it still needs to set. You see those little lumps perfectly fine, the finished product looks much like this just a little firmer. I use a 5 gallon bucket to store my soap, and a paint stirrer, my sister uses an old laundry detergent bottle and just shakes it up.

I do about 3 loads of laundry every single day. When I bought laundry soap it cost me anywhere from $9-$13 a week. I use my own soap and it lasts me between 2-3 weeks (1-2 cups of soap per load), it cost me for my initial investment:

(estimate)

  1. 1 box of Borax -$4
  2. 1 bag of washing soda- $3
  3. 6 bars of Ivory- $6
  4. 5 gallon bucket with lid- $4

grand total: $17, that's at least 6 batches of soap. Trust me it's worth a try, my family hasn't even noticed a difference. And like I said my son and I have sensitive skin, and we don't have any problems with it.

No comments: