Custom Search

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gardening


spinach ---- rows of yummy goodness---- mystery squash



container gardening at it's best-- calendula (marigolds-help keep pests away from my...) tomato

One of the easiest things you can do for the environment, and your health I might add, is garden. Just think of all the yummy fresh organic produce growing in your backyard, rooftop, windowsill. It doesn't matter where you live you can garden. Take it from me a self proclaimed reformed black thumb, otherwise known as a killer to all things living and green. The thing I finally realized is all you really have to do is make sure your plants are watered and in the right place. I have a small area in my backyard that I grow vegetables in. I also have some hanging boxes on my fence with herbs. You can garden on any spot of earth around, you can also garden in containers, which if you're new at it, I suggest. Gardening in containers gives you the ease of moving them if you are not happy with their growth, sunlight, the amount of pests, etc. You can also use just about anything for a container, as well. I have a friend whose entire back patio is filled with vegetables, in containers. She was also telling me about a thing called the Earth Box. This is so cool, you basically make your own little patch of Earth in a box (hence the title:) AND you only have to water it a few times a season as the box has it's own little water reserve in it. Pretty neat. A garden is not only good for the environment and your health, it's good for the soul. It takes a few minutes out of your day and puts you back in touch with nature. A little reminder that all we have we can create on our own, with a little thought and imagination.

No comments: