Custom Search

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Books-check 'em out.


I am a reader by nature. I always have something on hand-- fiction, nonfiction, newspapers, magazines, you name it, I''ll read it.

I started thinking about all the reading I am doing and how it affects the environment. Most of my magazines come from my sister, then promptly get dropped off at one or two of my kids' activities. My books I borrow from the library, and if I buy a book or two, it is almost always used. Yes, I buy the Sunday newspaper, but I love to cut the coupons, do the crosswords, and then we recycle the paper, either in my compost or to wash the windows at the house. So not too much paper 'wasted', but I thought there is always another way.

This leads us to the Kindle- an awesome idea. You can now use this unique little device to access and read all kinds of things, not just books, but newspapers, and even blogs. They have a new version out, the Kindle 2, it is the width of a pencil, has wireless access to download your books, it can read the items to you, comes with a built in dictionary, and has adjustable text sizes. The thing is totally awesome---looking, because to tell you the truth I don't know if I will ever get one. It's not the pricey tag, but the fact that I kind of like the way an old book smells, the way you have to adjust yourself at night when reading a giant book, and quite honestly when I am on the computer too long I get headaches. Is this item for me? I don't know yet, but I definetely haven't written it off.


My friends and I routinely share books between each other, we get to help out the environment, dish about the characters we love, and introduce one another to new genres, some we never would have considered without the recommendation. I like to think of this as my own little private book swapping club. Then I found out they have official book swapping clubs, come on check 'em out.

Paperback Swap, Book Mooch , and Swap Tree are all free to join. The idea works like this, you list books lying around your house that you don't want anymore. When someone requests your book, you ship it to them at your own expense and then you earn a credit. Each credit you earn you may then use to request a book from another member who ships it to you at their expense. Swap tree also lets you swap DVD's, CD's, and video games. Pretty cool.

Whatever you decide, read! It's one of those dying traditions, with television and the internet constantly berating us with noise. Sometimes it's nice to unplug all the electronics, sit outside or light some candles, grab a book or a Kindle, and read a great story. It fosters imagination in us and inspires.

1 comment:

Miss Malaprop said...

I've been doing PaperBackSwap for a few years now and got my boyfriend into it too. We love it! I've found myself reading more since I started, and we definitely save money on books!